HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform
HBAN (Halo Business Angel Network), the all-island organisation responsible for the promotion of business angel investment, and a joint initiative of Enterprise Ireland and InterTrade Ireland, today announces that its MedTech Syndicate has led a €1.1 million Series A funding round in medical device start-up, Ostoform. HBAN Angels contributed €280,000, with venture capital investor, SOSV, Enterprise Ireland, and other angel investors making up the rest of the funding round.
Pictured announcing a €1.1 million Series A funding round, led by HBAN's MedTech Syndicate in medical device start-up, Ostoform, are (L-R) Declan Quinn, Lead Angel for HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate; Kevin Kelleher, CEO, OstoForm; and Sarah Cagney, Communications & Relationship Manager, HBAN.
Dublin-based Ostoform was set up to address the management of a stoma – a small surgical opening on the surface of the abdomen to divert the flow of waste. A common complaint is irritation, redness and discomfort around the skin caused by leaks of the acidic content contacting the skin. Ostoform has developed the Ostoform Seal with FlowAssist. This is a seal that is secured to the skin around the stoma to effectively guide the acidic stoma output into the ostomy bag, thereby preventing it from contacting the skin.
The €1.1 million investment will help Ostoform to expand its team by five and fund the patient trials and regulatory approval required to commercialise and distribute its patented technology in both the US and Europe.
Ostoform will benefit, not just from the €1.1 million investment, but also from the expertise of the Galway-based HBAN MedTech syndicate. Members of the MedTech Syndicate have specialist experience in the industry and combined with their extensive network of contacts, they will help Ostoform realise its ambition to improve the lives of people with stomas across the world.
The need for a solution to ostomy skin problems was first identified when Kevin Kelleher and Rhona Hunt took part in the BioInnovate Ireland Programme at the University of Limerick. The Enterprise Ireland-backed BioInnovate Ireland programme aims to enable medical technology innovation to meet identified clinical needs through specialist training.
OstoForm CEO, Kevin Kelleher said: “Approximately one million people per year in Europe and the US have an ileostomy or urostomy, with some finding it very difficult to adapt to stoma management post-surgery. The patented Ostoform Seal with FlowAssist aims to reduce the discomfort of dermatitis that often happens with this type of procedure.
“This investment is not just financial; the angel investors bring invaluable expertise and experience that will help us to scale. We now have business people involved who have already gone through the process of patient trials with the FDA in the US and the CE Mark certificate in Europe. That will be instrumental in helping us to avoid pitfalls along the way and ultimately succeed in getting our product to market. The angels also have valuable connections with both manufacturers and distribution channels in Europe and the US, which will help us penetrate the market and reach the patients that need our technology quickly.”
Declan Quinn, Lead Angel for the HBAN MedTech Syndicate, said: “The HBAN Medtech Syndicate is delighted to have led this €1.1 million investment round. Kevin is a driven and dynamic entrepreneur and there is a growing global need for the patented Ostoform devices. We expect an excellent return on our investment, with the added satisfaction of knowing we are helping millions of people worldwide who will benefit from the Ostoform devices.”
Sarah Cagney, Communications & Relationship Manager, HBAN: “HBAN angels invested almost €7 million in the medtech sector in 2017, with the average investment significantly higher than that of other sectors. HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate has deep domain knowledge and experience that brings real value to high potential start-ups like Ostoform. Other companies that have already received crucial early stage financing from the syndicate include Signum Surgical, AventaMed, ProVerum Medical, Kite Medical and OncoMark. All of which continue to receive ongoing support and access to the investors’ expertise long after the original investment has been made.”
Since 2007, HBAN angels have invested €89 million in 429 separate deals. Together with investments from other funds amounting to €144 million, an overall total of €233 million has been put into these Irish start-ups over the last 11 years. HBAN is seeking angels interested in joining its syndicates, for more information log on to www.hban.org.
This news has also been featured:
- The Irish Times (print), 1st October 2018 - Medical devices start-up lands €1.1m investment
- The Irish Times (online), 1st October 2018 - Medical devices start-up lands €1.1m investment
- The Irish Independent (online), 1st October 2018 – Hban’s medtech syndicate leads €1.1m investment in Ostoform
- Irish Examiner (print), 1st October 2018 – Ostoform looking to US and EU markets
- Irish Tech News, 1st October 2018 – HBAN’s medtech syndicate leads €1.1m investment in Ostoform
- Fora, 1st October 2018 - Dublin medtech startup Ostoform has raised €1.1m to bring its product to market
- Business Plus, 1st October 2018 - Ostoform Seals The Deal With €1m Investment
- UK Pressit , 1st October 2018 - HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform
- Crunchbase, 1st October 2018 - HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform
- IRRUS, 27th September 2018 - HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform
- Better Business, 1st October 2018 - HBAN invests in Dublin Medtech Start-up
- Intertrade Ireland, 1st October 2018 - HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform
- Sync NI, 1st October 2018 - HBAN announced today MedTech Syndicate has led a €1.1 million Series A funding round in medical device start-up, Ostoform
- Silicon Republic, 2nd October 2018 - Dublin medtech start-up Ostoform raises €1.1m
- TechIreland, 2nd October 2018 – Ostoform announces funding
- The World News, 2nd October 2018 - Hban’s medtech syndicate leads €1.1m investment in Ostoform
- Council Journal, 1st October 2018 - €1.1m Investment For Dublin MedTech Start-Up
- The Irish Times (online), 4th October 2018 - Healthcare-focused entrepreneurs get boost with opening of new hub
- The Journal.ie, 4th October 2018 - Dublin medtech startup Ostoform has raised €1.1m to bring its product to market
- Venture Canvas, 4th October 2018 - Dublin medtech start-up Ostoform raises €1.1m
- Angel News, 4th October 2018 - HBAN’s MedTech Syndicate leads €1.1M investment in Ostoform#
- Industry and Business, 3rd October 2018 – HBAN’s Medical syndicate leads €1.1million investment in Ostoform.
- The Sunday Business Post, 7th October 2018 – New device helps medical start-up bag €1.1m
- Better Business magazine, 26th October 2018 – Big news for small business